Playing real money online Roulette
We are always on the lookout for great Canadian-friendly roulette casinos for you to play online roulette for real money.
Here at Casinocanuck we recommended that you keep coming back often to check our list of recommended roulette casinos as they are constantly being updated. We curate the best online casinos for Canadian players that feature everything from variations on traditional table roulette to the latest advances in online live roulette games.
If you’ve never played the game of Roulette but have always wanted to, why not check out our easy to follow guide that details everything from:
- The rules of the game
- How the game works
- Cool strategies
- Tips on how to get the most out of your Roulette gaming
Rules of Roulette
On its surface Roulette is quite simple, there is a table with a grid on it and a wheel at one end with numbers around the edge. In order to get into this highly addictive and exciting game, one has to learn how play roulette, which begins with the rules of the game.
Roulette works on numbers and colors:
- The wheel and the grid drawn on the Roulette table are identical
- The roulette wheel is numbered from 0-36, as is the table grid
- Some Roulette games include a single 0 as well as a double 00.
- The wheel and grid are alternately colored in red and black
- Numbers on the wheel alternate between odd and even
- The 0 numbers are green.
- Players can bet on single numbers, groups or rows
- Players can bet on odd or even numbers or red or black.
- Players can bet on 0 or 00
- Once bets have been placed the croupier spins the wheel and releases the ball
- The ball will land on a number that can be part of a group or row, colour or odd/even
How it all works
Now that you have a clear understanding of the design of a roulette table, let’s have a look at some basic Roulette bets and the odds that come with them.
There are essentially two basic types of bets that one can make in Roulette:
Inside bets are often thought of as the harder of the two types and are usually recommended for experienced Roulette players. Roulette is also a great game for Canadian players as its origins are French and most Roulette tables still display the original French names for bet types.
Here is the basic list of inside bets along with their relevant odds and French names:
|Row bet: 1-18
||Manqué (failed) so named as it ‘failed’ to pass 18
|Row bet: 19-39
||Passé (passed) Passed 18
|First Dozen: 1 – 12
||2 to 1 odds
|Middle Dozen: 13 – 24
||2 to 1 odds
|Last Dozen: 25 – 36
||2 to 1 odds
|Column Bet: column of 12 numbers
||2 to 1 odds
|Line Bet: intersection between 2 rows of 3 numbers
||5 to 1 odds
|Corner Bet: 4 numbers
||8 to 1 odds
|Street Bet: row of 3 numbers
||11 to 1 odds
||Carre Simple or Transversale
|Split Bet: pair of numbers
||17 to 1 odds
|Straight Up: single number
||35 to 1
Outside bets are considered to be much easier than inside bets and are generally the choice of beginners or casual Roulette players. Checkout this list of outside Roulette bets along with their odds and French names:
|Red: bet on colour red only
|Black: bet on colour black only
|Even: bet on any even numbers
|Odd: bet on any odd numbers
As you can clearly see, outside bets are a lot easier to make but also pay out in much smaller returns. The bigger, riskier bets pay out in much higher returns.
The House Edge (the advantage a casino has in the game) is quite high in roulette when compared to some other casino games such as Blackjack.
On a single 0 Roulette wheel, the house edge is at 2.70% while the house edge on a double 00 wheel is at an astounding 5.26%!
It is generally advisable to stick to Roulette wheels with a single 0 if you prefer a smaller house edge advantage over the player.
As with any casino game, a set of strategies exist that are designed to make it easier for the player to beat the house. Some of these strategies on how to win roulette outcomes are good and some, not so good.
In roulette, one of the oldest casino games in the world, dozens of strategies have been devised over the years and some of the more famous ones include:
- Martingale Roulette System
- Reverse Martingale (Paroli)
- D’Alembert Roulette System
- Reverse D’Alembert
- Fibonacci Roulette System
- Reverse Fibonacci
- Labouchere Roulette System
- Table Coverage
- Flat betting (betting same amount regardless)
- Dozens & Columns
- Red/Black Strategies
- Oscar’s Grind
The above is just a sample of the many Roulette betting strategies that are out there and you can read Casinocanuck’s more in-depth article on this very interesting topic.
Top 5 Roulette Tips:
- Study the game thoroughly and understand all the odds and risks involved
- Only play at well-known and reputable online casinos
- Don’t fall for schemes, scams or bogus systems that cost you money
- Never play beyond your predetermined budget
- Try to avoid American Roulette if possible (5.26% House Edge)
There are a number of interesting variations on the original game of Roulette including American, European, French, Roulette Royale, mini-Roulette and many others. If you are interested in getting into Roulette, please remember to check out Casinocanuck’s in-depth article explaining all the variations and what makes each of them unique.
Ultimately Roulette is an exciting and time-honored game that is a must-play, even if only once, just to experience one of the classic casino games out there.
Don’t forget to follow our useful guide if you are a new player to the game and to also check out our recommended list of Canuck-friendly online casinos.