Getting to know the game of Craps
As we have already mentioned, the game of craps distinguishes itself from other casino games by featuring a single player, known as the shooter, who throws a pair of dice across the Craps table but what does it all mean?
The basics of playing Craps at an online casinos
The shooter throws the dice for the first time – this is known as the Come Out Throw
- Before the first throw, participating players can either bet on the Pass Line or Don’t Pass Bar
- The Pass Line is for players who wish to bet on the shooter
- The Don’t Pass Bar is for players who wish to bet against the shooter
- Winning Pass Line numbers are 7 and 11
- Don’t Pass Bar winning numbers are 2, 3 and 12 (craps)
- The Point = any other number that comes up on the dice on the first throw
- Subsequent throws, all Pass Line bets are now bet on the point
- The table is now open to other betting options marked on the table
- The shooter carries on throwing until the point number or a 7 comes up
- If the point (number) comes up those that bet on Pass Line are paid out
- The shooter then starts with a new Come Out Throw and repeats the process, unless
- The Shooter throws a 7, then bets are collected and a new shooter begins a new game
Playing Craps online is slightly faster than land-based gaming but contains all the action of a real-world casino. You can play online Craps at any one of Casinocanuck’s recommended Canadian casinos and you can even play a game or two of Live Dealer Craps.
Understanding the main Craps bets
Craps betting can get pretty complicated but there are a few easier bets that beginners can make with confidence. For a more in-depth look at Craps betting refer to our full guide to Craps, betting and strategies for playing Craps online. ( LINK)
The basic Craps bets include:
- Pass Line:Probably the most common basic bet made at a Craps table. This is also considered the safest Craps bet and presents the lowest house edge at just 1.41%. If you are new to Craps then it is a good idea to stick to this bet for a while until you are more familiar with other bets.
- Field Bet: This is a simple bet that can be made at any time during the game on any single roll of the dice. The player wins even money if a 3, 4, 9, 10 or 11 is rolled. The player loses if a 5, 6, 7 or 8 is rolled. A 2 pays double and a 12 pays triple.
- Come Bet:Similar to the Pass Line bet but can be made at any time during the game.
- Place Bet:Players who choose this bet are betting that the number that they are betting on (the placed number) will come up before the point does. Can be placed at any time although this type of bet is most commonly placed after the point has already been established.
Craps odds and house edge
One of the main reasons that Craps is such a popular casino game is because it generally has some of the lowest house edge bets of any casino game. There are many different bets that you can make in Craps and some will feature a Lower house edge while other will again feature a much higher house edge.
The Pass Line bet has the lowest house edge of just 14% and is a popular bet for this reason. It is also the safest bet to make for beginner Craps players.
Betting on the Big Six and Big Eight bets present the second highest house edge of an incredible 9.1%.
Betting on a Hard 10 or a Hard 4 both have the biggest house edge of all Craps bets at a whopping 11%.
Learning about Craps odds and which bets offer higher or lower house advantages is a great way to improve your overall Craps game strategy and Casinocanuck will be covering this fascinating topic in much more detail. Be on the lookout for this article coming soon!
Variations of online Craps
There are a number of variations of online Craps that can be played at a number of different online casinos including our recommended Craps casinos. Some variations are quite interesting and worth trying out for yourself.
While the basic mechanics of Craps will remain the same, interesting variation include Vegas Craps and Live Dealer Craps. Live Dealer Craps is the latest in online realism casino games and offers the standard Craps game with a live dealer element. This allows players who love to play Craps online the chance to still get the feel and excitement of a real live land-based casino.
Canadians can now also enjoy playing their favourite game of Craps on the go as most of our recommended Craps casinos now also offer a mobile version of the popular game. The game features all the same speed and excitement of regular online craps and can be played on most mobile devices.
Craps is possible the most exciting of all casino games and the online version is even more so. Online Craps is faster than the land-based version which means that you can get more rolls in and also enjoy the added benefits of extra online Craps bonuses and special offers.
Get the very best for your Craps adventure with Casinocanuck’s list of recommended Craps casinos for Canadian players and be sure to check out our useful ad easy to follow guides and tips on everything that is Craps!